Who is this visa for & eligibility
The Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188) and Business Innovation and Investment (Permanent) (Subclass 888) make up the Business Innovation and Investment Programme.
The visas allow you to manage your business and investments in Australia. They are an avenue to permanent residency which allows you and any approved family members to stay in Australia indefinitely, work and study in Australia, enrol in Medicare, apply for Australian citizenship (once eligible), sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence, and travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).
Click here to select the visa you are interested in:
- 188 Business Innovation & Investment
- 188 Business Innovation (A)
- 188 Investor (B,C,D)
- 188 Entrepreneur (E)
- 888 Business Innovation & Investment
- 888 Business Innovation (A)
- 888 Investor (B)
- 888 Significant Investor (C)
- 888 Premium Investor (D)
- 888 Entrepreneur (E)
- 132 Business Talent
- 890-891-892-893 State/Sponsored Business Owner & Investor
You may be eligible for these visas if you:
- are nominated by a state or territory; and
- you are invited to apply; and
- you and your partner have not been involved in any unacceptable business or investment activities; and
- you and your partner have a satisfactory record of complying with Commonwealth laws, and of each State or Territory in which you operate a business and employ employees in the business, relating to your business; and
- you and all your family members meet health and character requirements – you do not need to prove this again if you have already done this for the provisional Business Innovation and Investment visa (subclass 188); and
- have a real commitment to maintaining business or investment activities in Australia.
There are two stages to these visas:
Stage 1: Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188)
The visa includes three streams:
- Business Innovation stream
- Investor stream
- Significant Investor stream
Stage 2: Business Innovation and Investment (Permanent) visa (subclass 888)
The second stage involves an application for the Business Innovation and Investment (Permanent) visa (subclass 888), and can be applied for after you have fulfilled the requirements of your provisional visa.
A new EOI does not need to be submitted nor is you required to be invited to apply for this visa by the Department. You need to be nominated by a state or territory government agency if you are seeking to satisfy the primary criteria.
If you are the holder of a provisional Business Innovation and Investment visa (subclass 188) and the state or territory which nominated you for that visa has not withdrawn the nomination, you have a current nomination by that state or territory.
If you are the holder of a Special Category visa (subclass 444),or require nomination from a different state or territory than your provisional Business Innovation and Investment visa (subclass 188) you are required to obtain nomination from a state or territory before you lodge an application for this visa.