Parent and Child Visas for Australia | Sirus Migration

Parent & Child Visa

Who is this visa is for and eligibility


If you are a parent of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, you may be eligible to live in Australia.


You may be able to get this visa if you:


  • hold a temporary Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173);
  • have a child who is at least 18 years of age and who has been lawfully resident in Australia for approximately two years. The Department may consider a shorter period for Australian citizens where there are compelling and compassionate circumstances involved;
  • meet the “balance-of-family” test;
  • have an accepted assurance of support;
  • meet health and character requirements.


Where your child is younger than 18 years of age there are other avenues for sponsorship. Sirus Migration Consultants can advise you on the alternatives.


The “balance-of-family test” measures the applicant’s connection to Australia and is a strict test, meaning that it cannot be waived, even in compelling or exceptional circumstances. This test will be satisfied where:


  • at least half of your children permanently reside in Australia; or
  • more of your children permanently reside in Australia compared to any other overseas country.
A family posing for a photo
Book a consultation with our team to learn more

    EnglishChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)