116 Carer (Offshore)

116 Carer (Offshore)


116 Carer (Offshore) visa is for someone who needs to move to Australia to:


  • Care for a relative in Australia with a long-term or permanent medical condition, or
  • Provide care to a member of their family unit with long-term or permanent medical conditions.


Eligibility Criteria


You must be willing to provide, or help provide, care to your relative.


Your relative must:

  • have been assessed as needing care or have arranged an assessment with a designated health service provider
  • not be able to get the care they need from another source in Australia
  • be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.


You can apply for this visa if the relative who needs care or assistance is usually a resident of Australia. The relative must be your partner, child, parent, brother, sister, grandparent, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew.


Both this relative (and the member of their family who needs care, where applicable) must be either:


  • an Australian citizen
  • an Australian permanent resident, or
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen.


If you are applying for this visa so you can assist your relative care for a member of their family, they must both live in the same house.


Processing Times

There can be waiting times of up to 5 years for this visa


Length of stay



Book a consultation with our team to learn more

    EnglishChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)