864 Contributory Aged Parent
This visa allows aged parents to remain in Australia for an indefinite amount of time with their children living permanently in Australia. This visa requires that you are sponsored by your child or another eligible sponsor in Australia.
To be able to obtain this visa, you must be able to demonstrate one of the following:
- at least half of your children are Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens who are usually resident in Australia
- you have more children living in Australia as Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens than in any other country
Your partner and other dependent family members may be included in your application provided they satisfy certain requirements.
This visa allows you, your accompanying partner and dependent family members to live as permanent residents in Australia.
You can also:
- work and study in Australia
- receive subsidized health care through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
- access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
- be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
- sponsor people for permanent residence (subject to waiting periods)
143 Contributory Aged Parent
This visa lets parents of a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia permanently.
You could apply for the Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173) before this visa. Applying for the temporary visa and then this permanent visa costs more but the costs are spread across the two visas over a longer period of time.
- You must have a child who is an Australian citizen, a permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
- At least half of your children must live in Australia or more of your children live in Australia than any other country.
Length of stay