A Dependent Child visa (subclass 445) is a temporary visa for the child of a parent who holds a temporary Partner visa that does not already include the child.

If this visa is granted, the child also needs to make a permanent Partner visa application before the parent’s permanent Partner visa is decided.


This temporary visa:


  • allows a child to travel to and from or
  • stay in Australia until their parent’s permanent Partner visa is finalised
  • is required if the child is to be added to a permanent Partner visa application after a temporary Partner visa has been granted to their parent.


This visa can be granted only if you can show one of the following for a child younger than 18 years of age:


  • you have the written consent of each person who can legally decide where the child lives
  • the laws of the child’s home country permit the removal of the child
  • it is consistent with any Australian child order.



The child’s parent must hold a temporary Partner visa or a Dependent Child visa.


The child must:

  • be a biological child, stepchild or adopted child of their visa-holding parent
  • be under 18 years old or dependent on their visa-holding parent
  • be single.


Length of stay



The child’s visa is valid while the parent’s temporary Partner visa or Dependent Child visa is valid.

Usually, a Dependent Child visa will be valid until a decision is made on the child’s permanent Partner visa application.

Are you chasing your Australian Dream? At Sirus Migration, we can assist you in obtaining your desired visa. Call us today!

    EnglishChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)