836 Carer visa is for people who are to care for an Australian relative or a member of their family until medical condition.
This visa requires the applicant to be sponsored by their Australian relative or their Australian relative’s partner. This visa is strongly recommended if you have a relative living permanently in Australia or a member of their family requires care for a medical condition.
You can also:
- work and study in Australia
- receive subsidized health care through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
- access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
- be eligible for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
- sponsor people for permanent residence (subject to waiting periods and visa specific restrictions)
You must be willing to provide care to your relative. Your relative must:
- have been assessed as needing care or have arranged an assessment with a designated health service provider
- not be able to get the care they need from another source in Australia
- be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
Length of stay
Indefinite amount of time