The Refugee and the Humanitarian program provides options for people who are in Australia and want to apply for protection (or asylum). If you have arrived legally in Australia, you can apply for a Protection visa (subclass 866).
This visa allows you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident.
You might be able to get a Protection visa (subclass 866) if all of the following apply:
- you arrived in Australia legally
- you engage Australia’s protection obligations
- you meet the health, character and security requirements
- you meet one of the following criteria:
- you are a refugee as defined by the Migration Act 1958
- you meet the complementary protection criteria in the Migration Act 1958.
- you are not barred from lodging a Protection visa application
- the minister is satisfied that the grant of the visa is in the national interest.
engage Australia’s protection obligations
have arrived in Australia on a valid visa
You must meet certain identity requirements. It is your responsibility to cooperate and confirm your identity so these checks can be done accurately. We will use information about your identity as part of assessing your claims for protection and completing character and security checks.
Length of stay