A Resident Return visa enables the following to obtain a travel facility to Australia:
- current Australian permanent residents
- some former Australian permanent residents
- some former Australian citizens.
You will need a Resident Return visa if the travel facility on your current visa has expired (your first granted permanent visa has a 5 year travel facility) or is about to expire and you want to travel overseas and retain your permanent resident status.
Departing Australia without a RRV may impact your permanent residency requirements for citizenship.
You must be:
- an Australian permanent resident
- a former permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled
- a former Australian citizen who lost or renounced your citizenship.
You can apply online right now, without providing any documents and you may be granted a visa automatically if:
- you are a permanent resident
- you have resided in Australia for a total of at least 2 years within the last 5 years
- your name and date of birth have not changed since grant of your last visa.
You can still apply online if you have not resided in Australia for two years in the last five years or have changed your personal details. However, you must attach your supporting documents to avoid any delays.
Length of stay
This is a permanent visa that gives you a travel facility of up to 5 years.